Role: TVET Expert
Duty Station: Cairo, frequent travel to other project locations is foreseen
Starting date: April 2023
Contract duration: 9 months (possible extension)
Supervision of (Nr. and type of staff supervised): 2 staff
General context of the project
The project Promotion of employment and socio-economic development
opportunities through a better quality TVET system in Sharkeya, implemented in the framework of the Multi-Educational Programme for Employment Promotion in Migration-Affected Areas implemented in Egypt by AICS and funded by Europeaid, intends to address the root causes of emigration, of young people in particular, from Sharkeya Governorate. This will be pursued through a coordinated intervention built on the Don Bosco Technical Institute of Cairo (DBTIC)’s well established and renowned expertise in the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) domain. Through the project, the DBTIC will be engaged to achieve the two main expected objectives, consisting in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of local TVET system and the access to employability and self-employability of TVET graduates in the local job market by providing high quality vocational training and skills development paths.
The project will build capacity and ability of local existing TVET providers, especially the 10th Ramadan City VTC, to efficiently and sustainably plan, organize and run market-driven and competency-based vocational education paths, leading graduates to inclusive and sustainable livelihood opportunities through the development of market- driven technical skills and job readiness to have an access to the local labour market as qualified technicians and professionals overcoming unemployment or underpaid and not dignified work conditions. The training paths will mainly relate to the industrial and energy sector creating an enabling work environment through a network of companies and enterprises willing to host internships to provide opportunities to TVET graduates. Particular emphasis will be attributed to paths focusing on sustainable resources management and renewable energy-based systems in line with national policies. At the same time, special measures will be put in place to address the power imbalance, social and inequity and gender-based discrimination.
General purpose of the position
The TVET expert will support the Project manager in implementing all the activities foreseen in the project most effectively. Furthermore, she/he will guarantee specific professional and technical support Vocation Education to the Project manager and the other team members.
Main responsibilities and tasks
He/she will be in charge of coordinating and ultimately ensuring the delivery of the following project components and outputs:
- Coordinate activities of the project in collaboration with the Project Manager and Technical coordinator;
- Initiate advice for the project manager and technical coordinator, using data and information;
- provide technical and specialist expertise during the development of the market research;
- examine the result of the market research related to TVET sectors in order to assist Don Bosco Technical Institute in the development of training curricula in the technical sectors;
- provide technical and specialist expertise for the development of a technical tender and for the procurement of training equipment, machinery and ToT to the Don Bosco Technical Institute to be installed for a renewable energy lab;
- contribution to quarterly and annual reporting procedures along with a technical recommendation for writing report;
- undertake additional technical tasks based on the needs;
- support the project manager in the reporting;
- support the admin and finance office in procurement procedures;
- support the project team in any other needed tasks.
Bachelors (Masters desirable) degree and studies in International Development cooperation, Disaster Risk Management, Sustainability.
- At least 2 years’ prior experience working in development/humanitarian field
- Recognised management role in relevant technical areas at both field and country level
- Proven experience in managing projects financed by International cooperation agencies and EU, preferably in Middle Eastern countries
- Experience in budgeting and financial planning processes and procurement planning
- Proven training, capacity building, coaching, and mentoring skills
- Proven experience in managing projects in the educational/TVET domain
- Experience in working and dealing with church-based institutions and contexts
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a demanding workload comprised of diverse and challenging tasks and responsibilities
- Good analytical skills. Effective negotiator, with the ability to positively influence cross departmental and cross sector working
- Very strong attention to detail, problem solving skills, and ability to analyse trends
- Flexible and able to travel at short notice as needed.
- Strong communication (written and spoken) in Italian and English, and strong interpersonal skills, Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
- English fluent (speaking and writing)
- Italian fluent (speaking and writing)
- Arabic (desirable)
- Patient, resilient, problem solver, with good communication skills.
Submission of application: Please fill out the form specifying the role: 2131 TVET Expert AICS Egypt
We require CV, motivation letter and References (at least 2 contacts).
Dead line to send your application: 30th of March 2023
Only profiles that meet the requirements will be contacted.