Role: Project Manager
Duty Station: Cairo, frequent travel to other project locations is foreseen
Starting date: April 2023
Contract duration: 12 months (possible extension)
Supervision of (Nr. and type of staff supervised): 13 staff
General context of the project
The project “Promotion of employment and socio-economic development opportunities through a better quality TVET system in Sharkeya”, implemented in the framework of the Multi-Educational Programme for Employment Promotion in Migration-Affected Areas implemented in Egypt by AICS and funded by Europeaid, intends to address the root causes of emigration, of young people in particular, from Sharkeya Governorate. This will be pursued through a coordinated intervention built on the Don Bosco Technical Institute of Cairo (DBTIC)’s well established and renowned expertise in the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) domain. Through the project, the DBTIC will be engaged to achieve the two main expected objectives, consisting in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of local TVET system and the access to employability and self-employability of TVET graduates in the local job market by providing high quality vocational training and skills development paths.
The project will build capacity and ability of local existing TVET providers, especially the 10th Ramadan City VTC, to efficiently and sustainably plan, organize and run market-driven and competency-based vocational education paths, leading graduates to inclusive and sustainable livelihood opportunities through the development of market- driven technical skills and job readiness to have an access to the local labour market as qualified technicians and professionals overcoming unemployment or underpaid and not dignified work conditions. The training paths will mainly relate to the industrial and energy sector creating an enabling work environment through a network of companies and enterprises willing to host internships to provide opportunities to TVET graduates. Particular emphasis will be attributed to paths focusing on sustainable resources management and renewable energy-based systems in line with national policies. At the same time, special measures will be put in place to address the power imbalance, social and inequity and gender-based discrimination.
General purpose of the position
The project manager is responsible for the overall appropriate and professional implementation of the project in the most effective manner possible, according to the defined project timeframe and the financial plan approved by the donor. He/She will be in charge of selecting, in cooperation with the DBC and PDO direction, the human resources foreseen and coordinating their daily work to ensure attainment of expected results.
He/she will be in charge of coordinating and ultimately ensuring delivery of the following project components and outputs:
- Conduction of a Market research
- Upgrading the Don Bosco Cairo capacity in the Renewable Energy sector training through equipment and Training of Trainers
- Development of 12 study curricula in vocational industrial fields
- Conduction of Technical Training and follow up for 270 instructors, 15 Admin staff identified by partner ministries
- Creation of Job Office (JPO)and platform (JPOP) and Training of office staff
- Identification of companies to sign cooperation and partnership agreements with (30)
- Conduction of Promotional activities and events for promotion, networking and visibility purposes
- Enrolment of 2500 beneficiaries to be trained at the VTC Sharkeya and provision of internships to graduates
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Develop Project start up plans in consultation with Project staff, line management and local government
partners. Following project initiation, develop regular (monthly) implementation plans and reports.
Establish and implement Project monitoring and evaluation systems in order to provide regular information on progress towards objectives and assess the impact of the Project.
- develop training schedules and plans in coordination and cooperation with all relevant staff and human resources
- Provide technical assistance and support to Project staff as required.
- Review existing Project outputs and indicators so as to ensure that they are appropriate and realistic, and
if required suggest changes to line management.
- supervise and ensure collection of fata and information for administrative and reporting purposes
- Ensure that compliance obligations to the donor and its procedures are understood and adhered to, by all relevant Project staff.
- Oversee preparation and update of periodic financial plans and monitoring tools
- Authorise all necessary Project site expenditure and ensure that Project expenses are kept to a minimum consistent with sound administrative and financial practices.
Ensure that Project suppliers and locally paid staff are paid promptly and adequately through liaison with the finance staff.
- Ensure that Project expenditure is being coded correctly and consistently (that is allocated to correct budget lines) and that donor funds are used solely for the purposes for which they were granted and in accordance with relevant donor guidelines.
- Ensure periodical Project expenditure reports are timely submitted to the PDO direction
- Check periodical Project financial report for accuracy and appropriateness.
- Monitor expenditure on a monthly basis against the approved budget. Review expenditure projections to ensure that expenditure stays within budget. Significant actual or anticipated expenditure variances against the budget should be included in the monthly report to line management together with any
recommendations for changes to the budget.
- Establish an asset register for all assets purchased by or provided to the Project
- Ensure the effective management, maintenance, security and legitimate usage of all project facilities, vehicles and equipment, taking into account visibility standards.
- Develop, define and maintain updated job descriptions for all relevant Project staff, which clearly delineate the roles and responsibilities of each staff member
- Work with line management and Administration Section regarding the recruitment of staff for all project positions including short-term consultants. Ensure that recruitment procedures and equal opportunities policy are followed.
- Ensure that all staff clearly understand their roles and responsibilities. On the basis of their job descriptions monitor staff performance and provide feedback to staff based on Performance management procedures.
- Ensure that staff participate in the development of project weekly/monthly work plans.
- Ensure that working hours, annual, sick leave and other leave provisions are being applied and liaise with the Admin.Section regarding relevant staffing issues.
- At all times ensure the safety and security of all Project staff in line with internal and donor policies and procedures.
Government Liaison/External Relations:
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other institutions involved in the project. This should include regular contact to ensure they are fully and appropriately involved in the Project.
- Establish local procedures in order to liaise effectively with local government institutions.
- Assist line management to meet all required reporting requirements both narrative and financial promptly.
- Comply with host government priorities and policies where these complement (are consistent with) with
the the donor’s Mission, Vision and contractual obligations
- Develop, maintain and strengthen relations with other agencies working in the same geographic or technical area
Communication and Reporting:
- preparation of visibility and communication material as per donor’s requirements
- ensure proper use and sharing of project-related information and materials
- preparation and submission to line management of periodical situational and progress reports based on the internal and donor-related requirements
Bachelors (Masters desirable) degree and studies in International Development cooperation, Disaster Risk Management, Sustainability.
- At least 5 years’ prior experience working in development/humanitarian field
- Recognised management role in relevant technical areas at both field and country level
- Proven experience in managing projects financed by International cooperation agencies and EU, preferably in Middle Eastern countries
- Experience in budgeting and financial planning processes and procurement planning
- Proven training, capacity building, coaching, and mentoring skills
- Proven experience in managing projects in the educational/TVET domain (desirable)
- Experience in working and dealing with church-based institutions and contexts (desirable)
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a demanding workload comprised of diverse and challenging tasks and responsibilities
- Good analytical skills. Effective negotiator, with the ability to positively influence cross departmental and cross sector working
- Very strong attention to detail, problem solving skills, and ability to analyse trends
- Flexible and able to travel at short notice as needed.
- Strong communication (written and spoken) in Italian and English, and strong interpersonal skills, Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
- English fluent (speaking and writing)
- Italian fluent (speaking and writing)
- Arabic (desirable)
- Patient, resilient, problem solver, with good communication skills.
Submission of application: Please fill out the form specifying the role: 2130 PM AICS Egypt
We require CV, motivation letter and References (at least 2 contacts).
Dead line to send your application: 30th of March 2023
Only profiles that meet the requirements will be contacted.